The furniture recovers, we love it! Pallets , glass jars, cans … we must not underestimate the potential of all its dual purpose objects. The cabinet in hand, meanwhile, also joins the ecological movement that tends to take hold of the deco universe. Thus, we notice more and more often its presence in modern interiors. For this reason today we have set the responsible task of presenting at best the raw charm of the rack shelf through a few tutorials and several project ideas easy to make yourself.
But why a shelf a DIY crate and not one of those modern shelves and design that can be found in trade? … Several answers to this question! First, the eco side left behind, the furniture made from crates or wooden crates is decidedly cheaper. Even more if they are recovered on a market, a deposit or a trade that seeks only to get rid of it. And at the same time, buying brand new crates does not necessarily mean having a well-stocked wallet. For comparison, a set of three crates at Cdiscount costs only 9, 51 euros, while a ready-made shelf of roughly the same size costs 22.99 euros (or more than twice as much).
In addition, the wooden box shelf has the magical property of completely transforming the decor of a room. Its versatility makes it suitable for any decor. It does not matter if you want to create a rustic, Scandinavian atmosphere or give a warm and natural character to the lounge that is a bit too modern. The rack shelf could perform well in all these roles. In addition, crates and crates are primarily containers, their natural form is very suitable for the manufacture of a storage cabinet.
Shelf in a wallet too stylish to make yourself. A deco project to personalize its interior
We made you crack? So, we now go to the presentation of two extremely simple tutorials that will help you in the realization of two different types of shelves. Here they are…
An easy tutorial to make a shelf in a functional crate
six wide wooden crates
What you need to do:
- Once you have the crates, you must first put them away. In our case we organized the six boxes two by two and we superimposed them to form three levels. However, if you do not mind, you can opt for a different layout. (Why not even an asymmetrical structure). The goal of this first step is to have an idea of what your shelf will become at the end of the realization of this project.
- Then you have to paint the crates. For the background, we chose the color duck and for the sides – the gray color. However, the choice of paint color is a decision that belongs to you.
- What you need to do next is to assemble the crates in the same order as the first step. To do this, you must first make sure that the paint is already dry.You can either screw the boxes to each other, or leave them as they are, which will allow you to change one day their order and the design of your shelf .
- Finally, you just have to store your favorite items to give a personality to your furniture. Place plants, books, a family photo or your favorite decorative accessories. If you are vintage lovers, you can skate and then wax the shelf but it is not a mandatory step.
A very easy tutorial to make a rack shelf yourself. The first thing to predict is the arrangement of wooden crates
Second step of the tutorial – repaint the crates to customize its rack shelf
Lately, you just have to build your little personal universe. Here is a shelf in very nice crate
A wall shelf in the bathroom
screws and anchors
A photo of the materials you need to complete this wall-mounted bookshelf project
What you need to do:
- The first thing to do is to prepare the crates for the application of the paint. To this end, you must pass the sandpaper on the surface of the wooden crates in order to polish them. Their surface must become smooth before proceeding to the next step.
- Dip the rag into the wood stain and apply it to the wood. Make sure that the movements of your hand are always pointing in the same direction to ensure a smooth look. Let dry.
- To then hang the crates, you will need a hand. There must be someone who supports the crates, while another pierces the holes. Pierce the four corners of the wooden crate to secure it. If you have a stud finder, use it to make sure your screws are properly fastened to the wall. If not, buy and use anchors that will support the weight.
To make this piece of furniture in a crate, you must first polish and stain the wooden crates
Fix crates on the wall with screws – still a project idea with wooden crate easy to make
The end result – a single piece of furniture to store all sorts of things in the bathroom
Recycled wine crates to make a multi-compartment crate shelf
An example of a dresser made from worn-out wooden crates – idea of eco-friendly and clever storage in the kitchen
A wooden crate transformed into a simple wall shelf – a rustic rustic decoration par excellence
Deco wooden crate – several different sized crates with custom colored paper backgrounds. The perfect storage for office supplies
Cabinet in crate made from raw wooden crates. A natural touch that marries the exotic wallpaper
Three boxes stacked and repainted in white to create a stylish storage in the bathroom
Shelf shelf in raw wood for storing all kinds of dishes and kitchen utensils. A vintage chic decor accent
An indoor planter – wooden crates transformed into storage shelves for your flowers
The shelf in the children’s room – a storage idea to organize the piles of toys lying everywhere
Rack cabinet for the kitchen – a rustic wall shelf to display vintage pretty dishes and gourmet books
Rack furniture for the entrance to the house – a superb organizer for shoes, handbags, accessories and small DIY tools
The wooden crate is ideal for the living room because of its chalereux side which contributes to the creation of a natural and welcoming environment
Shelf in raw wood crate to make a piece of furniture suitable for industrial decorations
A Scandinavian atmosphere enriched by storage with rustic charm. Wooden crates transformed into storage for books
Cabinet in crate, consisting of three boxes superimposed and repainted in white